Saturday, May 2, 2009

Luke's 3rd Grade Presentation


One one of the things I love so much about the kids school is that it truly is child directed learning. Luke's class has about 5 "Units of Inquiry" for the year. Currently, they have been studying the Roman Empire. The teacher leads as they decide what areas to focus on (family life, politics, religion. Roman soldiers, medicine..) then the kids just go with it! They work in groups with access to an abundance of research. They put together presentations, and then share with each other. Luke's topic was Roman soldiers and fighting tactics. He made a helmet from his bike helmet and did it all himself. I didnt know much about any of it until I saw his impressive presentation. He was so confident ( and entertaining!) The day after the presentation his class went on an overnight field trip to a Roman Castle here in Germany where they dressed as Romans and participated in daily Roman life. CHris went along as a parent escort. They got to sleep in the tower of the castle (in sleeping bags on the cold floor). What a great way to learn!!!!!

No comments: